Google
 

How to analyze and solve worry problems

We must equip ourselves to deal with different kinds of worries by learning three basic steps of problem analysis. The three steps are:

  1. Get the facts.
  2. Analyze the facts
  3. Arrive at a decision—and then act on that decision.

Get the facts. Why is it so important to get the facts? Because unless we have the facts we can’t possibly even attempt to solve our problems intelligently. Half the worry in the world is caused by people trying to make decisions before they have sufficient knowledge on which to base a decision.

If a man will devote his time to securing facts in an impartial, objective way, his worries will usually evaporate in the light of knowledge.

That is not an east task when we are worried. When we are worried, our emotions are riding high. But here are two ideas that I have found helpful when trying to step aside from my problems, in order to see the facts in a clear, objective manner.

  1. When trying to get the facts, I pretend that I am collecting this information not for myself, but for some other person. This helps me to take a cold, impartial view of the evidence. This helps me eliminate my emotions.
  2. While trying to collect the facts about the problem that is worrying me, I sometimes pretend that I am a lawyer preparing to argue the other side of the issue. In other words, I try to get all the facts myself---all the facts that are damaging to my wishes, all the facts I don’t like to face.

Then I write down both my side of the case and the other side of the case---and I generally find that the truth lies somewhere in between these two extremities.

Problem well stated is a problem half solved.

So I banish about 90 percent of my worries by taking these four steps:

  1. Writing down precisely what I am worrying about.
  2. Writing down what I can do about it.
  3. Deciding what to do.
  4. Starting immediately to carry out that decision.

Once you have made a careful decision based on facts, go into action. Don’t stop to reconsider. Don’t begin to hesitate, worry and retrace your steps. Don’t lose yourself in self-doubting which begets other doubts. Don’t keep looking back over your shoulder.

Why don’t you employ Galen litchfield’s technique to one of your worries right now?

Here is question no.1---What am I worrying about?

Here is question no.2---What can I do about it?

Here is question no.3---Here is what I am going to do about it.

And finally question no.4----When am I going to start doing it?

No comments:

Google